Sunday, July 3, 2011

SAIL WENT HOME TODAY


The people adopting Sail live on the Island and have been missing a dog in their lives since their dog passed away last year.   They both work from home and are looking forward to beach walks and having a new companion.   Spot who came to town a few weeks ago and stayed overnight at my place was also going to her home today so she tagged along with us.  Gloria, who is fostering Genoa (Sail’s pup) was also fostering Spot so she brought both dogs to the Ferry with her today.

When Genoa saw Sail she was quite happy to see her mom and took no time in going to her belly to check out the milk situation.   Sail hopped away with an ‘I don’t think so’ expression.   It was so cute to see them together.   They behaved in ways that Gloria and I haven’t seen them with any other dog.



I went on the 7:45 ferry to Duke Point because I was worried about sailing too late on a long weekend.  Even with walk-on you can be bumped to the next sailing….it’s about the number of life jackets, so they only let so many passengers on – either walk-on or in vehicles.   Well, I really didn’t need to worry about whether I’d get on the 7:45 or not because I walked on with Spot in a dog carry bag and with Sail and went up to the dog room and they never even used the upper car deck.  They didn’t load even one car up there and it was a little weird when we sailed away with an empty deck.  I thought I was alone but there was one other person and her dog and one or two Ferry staff but that was it.  So I walked the dogs around the car deck for a while to give them a chance to check everything out.  They walked quite nicely together.

After our little walk we went and sat on the ground near a railing.  We had our own private view of the water and some sunshine to bask in.  Both dogs laid down and dozed.  You can’t ask for anything better when you take dogs on the Ferry.  


A sleeping position reserved for the Ferry deck.  Apparently
wind on the belly feels good.



The people adopting Sail were very happy to see her.  They had asked at the Ferry ticket stand about the cut off time for me to buy my return fare and get back on Board and in the process had told the woman about adopting a dog so we had to take Sail over to meet her and get a cookie and then they were on their way.  Her new name will be Dakota and she walked away with them quite well.  I had to get going so I can’t honestly say whether she looked back for me very much.   Spot happily left with Maureen, on her way to Quadra Island where she will have other dogs in her family (including a TG alumni) and a beautiful yard to hang out in.  Her new name will be Tilly.    I can’t wait to see the updates from both dogs.
Do sleeping faces get any cuter?

5 comments:

Jean B said...

Yahoo!!! So glad to hear these dogs are both home now. Having met Sail/Dakota's new mom and dad, I just know she's going to have a good life as an island dog!

Del said...

It's heartwarming to see mom and daughter on their way to start their new families "together". It's neat that they had a chance to reunite, together with you before. I can only imagine how cute the behaviours were. Photos 0067 & 0068 really say it all :-)

Anonymous said...

Agreed, it was truly 'heartwarming' to see both Mum and Daughter together before they parted ways. It's so wonderful to see them enjoying the sunshine and I am eager to see who you will take in next Lisa!
More wonderful dogs to new homes. <3

turtlegardens said...

Thank you Lisa B for your dedication to getting these dogs home. You are a very special person!

Lory said...

So sweet