Monday, July 18, 2011

THE LIFE OF RILEY



So, yesterday was the dog run and it was a busy day.  Riley was brought into the barn and he immediately went to hide.  I left him there for the duration of the adoptions and when almost all of the dogs had gone I went to meet him and coax him out of hiding.  Such a scary adventure for these dogs and once they arrive after their long ride, we are quick to unload them.   Unloading is stressful too because they don't know what's happening and I like to believe the quicker we get it done the less stress it is on each of them.   I tried to get a leash on Riley and he wasn't having any part of that.  I had him cornered with no where to run and hide so I gave him some time to get used to having me near him.  I withdrew the leash and put out an empty hand instead and he let me pet him.  He was afraid of me moving forward with the leash.  The funny thing is that as soon as I petted him on his side he moved forward to snuggle up on my lap like he couldn't get close enough.  He warms up very fast as long as you have the right approach (patient and gentle).   But, no matter, we will be working on socializing him with so many people he will wonder what all the fuss was about.  New people will represent affection and treats and good things.  His world is opening up and it will all be good.

I took a couple of pictures yesterday of Olivia as she came with us until dinner time when her new people could pick her up.  What a gem of a dog they got themselves.  She walks along side you and runs a bit ahead so she can look back up at you better.  She is going to bond hard and fast and be an awesome companion!




Today was Riley's first day at dog daycare.   For the first day, we get going as early as the dog daycare opens so he can be there before most of the dogs get there and the introductions are a bit easier that way.  The staff at Playful Paws are very dog savvy and I always feel good about taking the dogs there.  While we were getting ready in the morning I was able to catch him on video.  He can balance very well sitting up or standing on his hind legs and when he sits up he kicks out with his front legs together...it's so cute.  I could only catch him doing it when he lays on his back though.  He's quite playful, which is a good sign of confidence and trust that he can do that with me after his first day.



He wasn't very happy to see me walking away but I'm told he did well at dog daycare.  He did not play very much with the other dogs though and opted to follow the staff around.   I'm hoping he will get into the groove of playing as the week goes on.  

After daycare we went to the beach and I put Riley on the long leash.  He stuck very close by, like a shadow and was nervous at first when new dogs approached him.  I know he's dog social from being at Turtle Gardens but these new dogs in a new setting had his tail tucked for a bit.  By the end of our time down there he had a full curl on the tail, even when someone approached.  When down at the waters' edge he didn't get too close until I stepped ankle deep in the water and then he came in to meet me.   I think he will learn to like it once he figures it out.   On our walk back to the parking lot he started venturing further away on the leash.  He would stop and look back at me and if I clapped my hands he ran back to me like a flash.  


Tail Barometer:  FULL CURL



We got home and he had a bath which he took really well.  He didn't even try to escape.  Small dogs are so much easier to clean. 

Oh yeah...and guess who is happy to ride in the car too?!

2 comments:

turtlegardens said...

It didn't take you long to get a happy face! Good boy Riley. Life in the city is fun!!Thanks Lisa!

Dom said...

Riley about breaks my heart. I can picture his body language and it's just so SAD. Can't wait til he comes out of his shell.

Olivia is so cute :)