Monday, July 25, 2011

A GREAT DAY AT THE BEACH


So, I'm not sure whether to say I haven't blogged much because quite frankly I don't want to see Riley go or if I should blame it on being busy.  Blogging does seem to get these foster dogs adopted quicker and Riley has just been such a great joy to have around.   We went down to the beach on Sunday and had so much fun fetching and wading in the water.  All off leash too!  He has been fetching the ball at home and this sounds like just an ordinary thing to most dog owners, but TG dogs just don't seem to come to town with that skill in their bag of tricks.  In fact, for some it can take some time to even want to play with toys at all, much less run to get them and bring them back.  But, Riley runs fast to get the ball and runs equally fast to bring it back to you.  He jumps up to bring the ball to your face!  Maybe he thinks I'm supposed to take it back from him with my mouth?   He's just so friggin cute in everything he does. 

Well I tried throwing sticks for him at the beach and even with all the distractions he fetches it.  Oh, unless it has too much sand on it which he doesn't like getting in his mouth.

Here are some pics of Riley fetching his stick:  (You can click on a picure to make it bigger)






...another stick?
Another thing that can take some dogs time to adjust to is the water.  On Riley's first day at the beach he wouldn't even put a foot in.  But yesterday, when I waded in he walked out to me.  When he got to the point where he could just barely touch I would hold him under the belly and turn him towards shore.  I would hold him for a few seconds to start paddling and then let him swim back.  He kept coming back for more and he seems to be enjoying it.   When I come back to the beach with him he gets all wiggly and proud of himself.


He is so good off leash.  He sticks close by, almost tripping you at times because he's too close.  His confidence is building and he will now venture a little further away from me.  When I whistle for him he stops what he's doing and darts back over to me, tail wagging and happy to be called back.   What a great little buddy he is.

After the beach we went back home for a bit.  Do you think Riley had a tiring day at the beach?  It's a very hard life, but some dogs gotta do it!

1 comment:

Dionne said...

He looks so adorable! I'm disappointed that I wont get to meet him.
Meadow is absolutely in love with our two little dogs here in Saskatchewan, so her dog fear only extends to big puppies. Make sure you foster another little guy when we get back so that they can have a play date! ;)

Looks like you're doing an awesome job with Riley. What a good boy!