Tuesday, June 28, 2011

MEAN FOSTER MOM

I took Sail for a long walk last night to Minoru Park.  If you've ever been in Richmond and wondered why there aren't many people on the streets ...well I've found out why.  Everyone is busy walking around the track.  There must have been a hundred people doing the circuit.   



We were halfway through our walk so Sail was quite happy to lay down and watch everyone walking by.   There's nothing like a pretty dog to make people smile and she got alot of admiring looks as people passed by.  

After we left the track we walked back through the park and when I saw the horse statute, I hate to admit it but I kinda, sorta knew that Sail would not like it AT ALL.   So that's exactly where I took her.  She started barking at the horse from about 20 feet away and no matter how close we got she still barked her head off at him and lunged on the leash AND...of course was all talk, no action.  When we went right up she tentatively sniffed the horse's leg and still kept looking up at that head and barking.  The horse is life-size and she wanted nothing to do with it.   I made her lay down next to it and we checked it out from all angles.  Just when I thought she was accepting of it she started barking again.  I took her back to the horse and kept asking her to pass under it, around it and even held her up higher to inspect the face and she finally was okay with leaving it without having the last word.   Dogs are so funny!





"I'm laying next to you...but I don't trust you Mr. Horse"

I must have a bit of a sick sense of humor because if that horse had come with a remote control to move him even an inch when Sail was barking at him, I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from hitting the forward button.  It's quite different to have a foster dog that is so playful and can take a good joke without getting too scared.  I've had my share of shy guys that I still would have taken up to the horse but it wouldn't have been just for the fun of it.

3 comments:

Dionne said...

Had to laugh at this one! It totally reminds me of this comic- http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/04/wild-animal-simple-dog-goes-for-joy.html#links

You're doing a great job with Sail!

turtlegardens said...

New scary experiences are very good for shy dogs. It builds up confidence and trust.

Lisa B said...

I totally agree Yvette! Even if they're afraid of the sewer grates I walk over them and around them until they realize its all okay...I don't let them be afraid of anything without working through it at their pace (with a little extra push from me).

Dionne: I love that cartoon...I'm glad you linked that. Very funny comparison.