Tuesday, May 29, 2012

TERRIER, SILKY


Dogs should have their make first and then their model.   We don't say a Ranger Ford...we say Ford Ranger...and I think dogs should be the same so we don't forget that they are more than just a cute "Silky".  Percy is adorable!  His personality is very cute too, but underneath the bangs that really need something frou-frou done to them, he is also a terrier.  He is more than just a pretty face...he is very smart and learns quickly, is cuddly, walks pretty good on the leash so far and can fetch anything you're willing to throw for him.   "Terrier" is not a negative...as long as it's in the right hands.  Percy needs someone to adopt him because they love his feisty personality and someone who will give him the boundaries he needs so he never gets the chance to take over the house.  He has given me lots of reasons to smile so far...he is an entertainer.  When he wandered into the bathroom yesterday he made 4 or 5 attempts at jumping into the empty bathtub.  When he finally got over the edge he wandered around and licked around the drain.   I wonder if at bath time he will be so happy to jump in.  In the yard tonight he tackled a 3" stump, growling at it and knawing on the end, like he was trying to pull it out of the ground.  So, I went inside and came back out with a rope toy to play some fetch (something a little more productive).  When he really wants to keep playing and you don't throw it for him again, he stomps his feet like a little mechanical dog shuffling around and dropping the toy closer and closer to you.

He really likes the toys, especially a knotted ball that I have and a knotted rope toy.  With the rope he shakes the heck out of it and is happy to fetch it as many times as you'll throw it.  On his first night I was surprised to see that not only does he know how to fetch but he brings it back and stands a couple of feet away and tosses the ball back in my direction.   I made things more interesting, so when he came back to me and wanted to fetch again he had to come sit beside me and wait.  After about 5 or 6 times of showing him what I wanted he was doing that on his own.  He works things out very fast.  



Yesterday, after I picked him up from the Airport, we went to the beach so he could stretch his legs before riding home.   It was spitting outside a little bit and the beach was mostly deserted.   It took until the end of the walk before Percy really looked up at me and wagged his tail.  He's got the funniest little flag of a tail which I'm seeing alot more wags out of on day two.   Here are a few pictures from our first beach outting.  





Wet, sandy dog....sorry Vicky I ruined
all your hard work to send him down
looking clean and brushed.

I know...I know....I see all that hair hanging in his eyes too.  I tried to trim it tonight but some things are definitely a two person job, or one person with a way better pair of scissors than what I have.  Besides, maybe someone who adopts Percy will prefer the elastic pom pom.  Either way he's a great little dog for some lucky adopter.

Today was his first day at dog daycare, and so far so good.  The staff said he did very well and claim he is a great cuddler.  He must have had fun as he crashed on his dog bed pretty quickly on the ride home. 

1 comment:

turtlegardens said...

Welcome to Lisa B's Finishing School Foster for yuppie puppies. Percy is a very lucky little dude. Whomever gets this little guy will have a treasure. Thank you Lisa for giving him his chance to be the best that he can be.