Monday, August 12, 2013

BUFFY THE COUCH SLAYER

This was a busy weekend!  Dog run on Saturday with new dogs coming to town, Griffin going back up and a new foster coming for me.  Griffin is a great dog.  He is an easy foster but just not as easy to find the right match for an adoption.  He needs a home that does not underestimate him.  One that gives him reassurance that he won't ever be given the chance to catch, chase or corner a cat.  And believe me, he really can fool you into thinking he's relaxed with no thought of cats in his head.



He is smart and he bides him time until he feels he has a chance of completing his mission.  Such was the unfortunate case in a few homes that he tried out.  To be honest I had more than one reason for thinking Griffin should go back up North.  I had thought that maybe the city wasn't the right place for him - that maybe his next home might be waiting for him on large acreage up North.  And then in the last while I began to realize I was actually just scared to help choose his next adoptive home and have it not work out again.  He is such a sweet and sensitive/loving dog and I really worried that I might make the wrong choice for him, as I think he knows that he hasn't found 'his home' yet.   All that being said, a funny twist of fate took over and found Stan driving Griffin home but was stopped by a phone call from Yvette to say a really good match for him is in the Lower Mainland.  And so, because Griffin deserves all the chances in the world to find his furever home Stan detoured out of his way to do the home visit and meet with the family and Jackpot!...Griffin was home.  How's that for timing?


So, Saturday also brought Buffy to me for fostering.  I had seen her pictures and loved her quirky little face, so I was exchanging 86 lbs of dog for 13 lbs...what a step down in size.  Buffy is a bit shy but warms up very quickly.  No matter how shy she might be feeling in any moment as soon as you start walking with her she bounces alongside you with her tail wagging.  She perks right up for walks as well as for car rides.  She likes to watch the scenery go by and sometimes puts her feet on the dash or side window with her little tail wagging.  I think if I had a big enough dashboard she'd be happy up there.

After the dog run we came home where she ate some food, drank water, slept on the couch briefly and then we went out for a couple of hours to the Pedigree Adoption Drive that Turtle Gardens was featured at.  She was happy to go back in the truck and she was a star with the people and dogs around.  Part of why I wanted to go, was for her to see Tammy and Terrie who are also both in town for fostering and who she lived with in foster up North.  I would guess that she was closer to Tammy previously, based on her happier reaction.  Both dogs were very happy to see her and Tammy really perked up having a former buddy there.

Buffy sitting with Denise at the adoption event.
 Buffy had her first day of daycare today and she was overwhelmed with the new dogs and new people and so they put her in an ex-pen to the side of the room for a while, where she could observe without having to have all of the new dogs at once.  They created smaller play groups for her so she could meet at a slower pace (one of the reasons why I love my daycare...they are so accommodating).  I suspect by the end of the week she will figure out the people and dogs and will find her friends.  She came home quite exhausted and after eating her dinner she found her spot on the couch.  I'm thinking she's feeling pretty much at home now.


'...you mean I can have this whole side of the couch?'


Well, I'm off for my evening walk with little Buffy and will have more pics and stories to come.  I'll sign off with a few more pics.


I was giving Buffy a good scratch to get this pic...she almost fell asleep standing up.  

2 comments:

Del said...

It does my heart good to hear when people not only know what's best for a dog but actually DO SOMETHING about it. Bravo on two counts! Griffin was meant for something different, and he got it! (Y) And little Buffy being able to meet new buddies at her own pace. SO Important to her future great life with you while she waits for her forever family
Have fun with all 13 pounds of fun lol

Tammy said...

I put in an application for this little sweetheart (Buffy). I love the pictures that you posted. They really show what a cutie she is. I am won over! Crossing my fingers that she'll find a home with us :)