Wednesday, October 5, 2011

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY "FOSTER FOR TG"


I have been fostering for just over 2 years now but it was one year ago on October 5th that I started this blog.   It has been alot of fun for me to write about my experiences with each of the dogs.  I would have never thought that I would like blogging so much.   When I call applicants about any of the dogs fostered with me there are very few questions as the blog shows them who they are.   Thank you to everyone who submitted comments...its nice to know for sure someone is listening.   And, of course, thank you to Turtle Gardens for providing me with an endless supply of amazing foster dogs so that I would have something to write about.

Rosie was my first foster blog.  What a character she is!

Rosie - just after she came from up North

Rosie....now Molly - after her first grooming
Molly is happily living in Delta and is now celebrating her 1 year anniversary of being adopted into her forever home.  She is a good cuddler and snorer and I miss her cute little face.

At this point in time two years ago I still had my first foster dog with me.  Bella Noel was on the last Turtle Gardens blog of 2008.

December 31st, 2008

2008 will finish the same as it started with a couple of new arrivals. Snowmobilers well out in the backcountry found a skinny female dog! She looked like she had recently given birth – she had loads of hanging teats on an extremely emaciated body. They spent an hour and half looking for her litter but could find no sign of them though they did see a lot of wolf sign. Were they eaten? It was also -35. It may have been too cold for the babies to survive – this is a young mother with a very short coat. They brought the little girl home for Christmas. Yesterday they called me and asked for a safe haven for the girl. Turtle Gardens welcomes Bella-Noelle who is a teenager shepherd mix – lovely temperament, playful, beautiful and friendly – what an awesome forgiving dog! Someone will be very lucky to adopt this little girl. I will take pictures soon!

Bella Noel was adopted to a couple in Richmond and was a failed adoption as she was too much for the couple with a quiet lifestyle and they felt Bella really wanted a more active home.   I met Yvette at the Turtle Gardens dog walk in August in Vancouver and I agreed to take Bella until the next dog run.  Well, the bus came and left and I had decided to continue fostering her until she was adopted. 

A beautiful picture of a beautiful Bella.  This
picture prompted multiple applications as soon
as Yvette posted it on Petfinder.
Bella was adopted to an active couple in North Vancouver.  She now goes by the name Kaia and has been an awesome companion.

Kaia on one of her first North Van hikes

Kaia meeting one of her new family members.
After Bella's adoption I decided not to adopt right away.  I continued to foster one dog after another and I think my total is up to 23 dogs??  Fostering has become quite addictive and I'm not really sure what it will actually take for me to stop fostering and adopt. Maybe the dog that nobody else wants to adopt?   Letting a foster dog go can be very hard but the rewards well outweigh any guilt and sorrow.    They go to great homes - always!

2 comments:

cynda said...

where did you get this birthday picture? It's absolutely hilarious! The smug but blissful smile on the birthday boy's face is priceless.
Love it!

turtlegardens said...

Congratulation Lisa! You have brought Turtle Gardens into the "work smarter" era with everything you do! Thank you for being my friend and "right hand woman"!