Monday, May 16, 2011

ANOTHER WEEKEND AND MORE FUN WITH WHITESPOT

I found a picture from a couple of weekends ago when Whitespot was on my friend's sailboat with me....
 
This past weekend was a good one.  I went to my friend’s house on Friday night to sit around a fire.  Whitespot ran around the back yard and peed on everything he could, at least 5 times each spot and then he laid down on the dog bed next to my chair.  He’s very well behaved and is quickly learning that food left at the edge of a table is a no-no.  He still has to be watched carefully.  I try not to take things out of reach, but prefer to teach him not to touch or grab food off tables our out of hands.   I love the way dogs will pass by and turn their heads in the direction of the food like it was an accident.  “OH…is that food there….I didn’t hardly notice”…yeah right!

On Saturday we went to the off leash dog park in Surrey.  It’s a large space with lots of bushes and it’s fully fenced and gated.  I walked Whitespot around the whole park and then let him off leash.  He ran to smell clumps of grass and some bushes and he came when I waved him over.   Of course I had to wait until he was looking but he came right away.   He did this twice.  On the third time he looked up, saw me wave him over and opted to turn back towards the bush and walk a bit further away.  I went and got him and back on the leash he went.  He needs to pay attention or off-leash is revoked : )  He went onto the 20 foot leash and still had fun roaming and sniffing.   He’s good with the other dogs, except when the other dog is one displaying poor manners and trying to mount and dominate.   Dog parks can be a lot of fun but can also be very frustrating sometimes.  Some owners are there but not present, not watching their dogs, not correcting bad behaviour and some are downright proud when their dogs dominate other dogs or start fights.  So important to check out all other dogs before entering the dog park and once there are too many there to cause trouble it’s time for me to leave.  I bite my tongue…and it’s not always easy.  I had to back one dog, who kept trying to mount Whitespot, away 3 times and the owner was oblivious.  Whitespot is no push-over and will defend himself.   I watched the same two dogs that Whitespot had troubles with go around the park and bully a puppy and try to mount 2 other dogs and almost start a dog fight.  So we went to our good old standby location in Richmond.  The soccer field for a good off leash run and then MacDonald Beach. 

Saturday was such a nice warm day out and when we got to the water Whitespot waded in and swam for a bit.  He doesn’t seem interested in fetching anything and needs no coaxing to get in the water.  I think he goes in to get cooled down. 
On Sunday we hung out with Paula and Silky.  First, a walk at Watershed Park.  It was my first time in there….WOW!  What a great place to go walking. You feel so far from the city with only a few steps into the woods.   We then went to the Waterworkz Paw Spa for their open house.  What a great set up and a very relaxing environment for the dogs.  http://www.waterworkzpawspa.com/   They had a barbeque going for their open house which was a bonus ….thanks for the hot dog guys! 

Silky graciously shares
'her' car with Whitespot
We then travelled out to Chilliwack for a home visit.  It amazes me when you can sit on your butt for most of the day driving around and still feel exhausted by the end of it.   Even Whitespot agrees with that…he slept most of the evening away on his bed. 


 

6 comments:

camkid said...

Great blog and thanks for the day out yesterday with you and White Spot; you're both great traveling buddies! I learned a lot by your interaction with Miss "Everything belongs to me" Silky and how you dealt with her and White Spot coming into the house.

turtlegardens said...

Whitespot has a lot of learning experiences. He is ready for his own family soon! Great work with a tougher dog. I think Willow should go visit you soon!She has been here 15 months.

Lisa B said...

Silky is a good dog Paula...and you can take credit for that.

Yvette - I will start thinking about Willow and look forward to meeting her soon...it's gotta be her turn soon after 15 months.

Thanks for your comments Ruby, I suspect Whitespot will be adopted by June though. I read your other comment too.. good luck on your move home.

Anonymous said...

I have been following White Spot for a while now and I am so happy to see how much he has healed and grown. He is a most wonderful dog.Thank you for keeping us up to date with him, you have done a wonderful job.-Alexia

alextryfon said...

Lisa, is there a way I can help or directly sponsor White Spot. I've been helping Vokra out for a while and I would also love if i could help you out with White Spot.

Lisa B said...

That's so nice that you want to help Whitespot. Expenses for him while he was being fostered included food, daycare and also with the xrays and check ups that he had with Dr. Ubi at the Cambie Animal Hospital he built up a debit on the account there. I believe he is close to going to his forever home so contributing to his vet costs would be a great help. No donation is too small. (Another option is to donate a bag of food for fostered dogs.)

You can send a donation to TG directly and ask that the money be put towards Whitespot's vet care and you'd also get a tax receipt or you can provide me your email address and I will contact you with info on how to donate direct to the vets, etc. (I won't publish your email address if you add it to a comment)

Thank so much for being such a good supporter of the animals!!