Tuesday, May 10, 2011

WHITESPOT GOES TO THE OCEAN

I went over to the Sunshine Coast on the weekend and took my Nana with me to visit my Mom and Dad for Mother’s Day.  Whitespot usually rides behind the seats in the cab of the truck.  I slide the passenger seat as far forward as it goes and he has enough room to turn around, lie down, stand up, etc.  Well, with my black-slacks-wearing Nana I really wanted her to have a hair free ride.   I vacuumed the front of the truck out and my new handy-dandy cordless vacuum with a pet attachment works awesome at picking up all of the hair.   That is the best investment I have made in a while (Black and Decker in case you’re wondering).  Anyhow, I took all of the dog beds available and stacked them up in the back of the truck and Whitespot was happy as a clam.  He could lay down, looking very comfortable, and could still see out the windows of the canopy.  He was such a good boy.  He always rides well on trips.

My Mom and Dad have an Airedale (Ralph) and he and Whitespot played well together.   They wrestled in the back yard and were both completely wiped afterwards.   I had also walked Whitespot after dinner, down the hill to the beach, and I would assume this would be his first trip to the ocean.  The first thing he did when we got to the beach was to go and try to drink from it.  He quickly realized it’s not the same as drinking from the river.  That night Whitespot flopped down like he never wanted to get up again.   

On Saturday night I saw a side of Whitespot that I hadn’t seen that much of yet.  He knew my bag and jacket, etc were in the front bedroom and he started guarding that room so Ralph couldn’t go in there.  I put an end to that quickly but he still kept trying.  By the end of the night he practically had himself wrapped around the side of me while I walked towards the bedroom.   I corrected him again and then he was okay – he learns quickly.   He really wants to keep his person for himself.   I originally thought maybe he’d like a home without other dogs, but still have interaction at dog parks, etc.   I think he could go to a home with either/or and maybe it wouldn’t hurt him to continue to learn to share.  He had to learn to share up at Turtle Gardens and he also has to share the people at dog daycare….I know he could learn to share his adopters with another dog too, and learn to like it I’ll bet.   

1 comment:

turtlegardens said...

I can just imagine the look on his face when he drank the salt water! He is so expressive! More lifeskills for this boy - what a lucky guy.