Tuesday, May 24, 2011

DONATION AND A FERRY RIDE

Until I started fostering I never thought about donating time or money or supplies.   Turtle Gardens has inspired me to do so and I see on their blog there is no end of people who are happy to donate too.  And, aren't we all thankful that there are people like that in the world....that love dogs so much that if they can't adopt that they will still find financial ways and creative ways to help.   A comment came on my blog in the last week from Alexia who wanted to sponsor Whitespot.  Even once I told her that he might have found his furever family she still wanted to help him.  I went downtown to meet with her and she was happy to meet Whitespot in person and she donated premium dog food, an awesome toy and some treats which Whitespot could smell through three layers of plastic bagging right away.   Such a good nose for pepperoni!  Alexia is a 'concept' person for a game company and she tells me that she was inspired by Whitespot for one of her drawings.  I hope she will send me a copy to share when she's done with it.   How cool would that be if a character was based on a TG dog?   Thanks for your generosity Alexia!

Another piece of news in Whitespot's world was his first trip on the Ferry.   A TG dog, Kenobi was proving to be too much for his adoptive family.   He is a beagle/heeler cross and was too busy and would chew or eat just about anything even if you just turned your back for 5 minutes.  Power cords, socks, etc....everything was too tempting.  He came from Kelowna with his family to Merritt where a friend of TG (thank you Charlie) drove him to the Lower Mainland.  That's where Whitespot and I came in and took him on the Ferry to Swartz Bay.  Foster mom Emily has a friend who is now fostering him and I can't think of a better opportunity for a super active dog than to go to work with her at dog daycare, and she also teaches agility so Kenobi will be her 'demo dog' as he learns the ropes.   He will be kept busy! 

Kenobi

The dog room on the Ferry over to the Island was packed and there were about 10 dogs.  Whitespot sure knows how to pass some time...he flaked out and slept for part of the trip and Kenobi played with the dog sitting next to us.   Travelling walk-on with dogs is always an adventure.  You meet great people and great dogs.  On the way back with Whitespot one of the Ferry staff kept coming in to pet him.  Despite having to de-shed her work outfit each time she came back 3 times and before we docked she offered to help transport dogs back and forth from Victoria to the Lower Mainland when she has days off and travel to visit her sister.  What a great offer!


Whitespot catching some ZZZZ's in the dog room on the Ferry


2 comments:

Del said...

Maybe Im just a tad over sensitive/emotional right now. You're posts are so touching Lisa. You make me proud to 'know' you and all that you stand for!
Kudos to all those people who "do something" I believe they are the backbone of Rescue. They keep me believing in humankind. My heart goes out to you as you watch your 'Sir Rex' walk into his future. Another spot opens for another lucky furry again.
Thanks for sharing your life Lisa. :-)
Del

camkid said...

It's great to hear more stories of how amazing people can be with their precious time and resources. I can just see White Spot with an Avatar in some cool game! I'd love to see that drawing. So great to hear about your adventure on the ferry and the ferry worker for her offer of transportation. I agree with Del 150%, Lisa, your posts are wonderful and are your company and talks on the phone are fun and enlightening. Thank you from Silky too!