Monday, April 18, 2011

WHITESPOT'S VET UPDATE

I took Whitespot to Dr. Ubi on Saturday and he was pleasantly surprised at how well he has done in the 4 weeks since he had seen him last.   No recommendations other than to keep up the walking we've been doing and to come back in a few weeks for follow-up x-rays.  

So....how do you mess up such a good day, with good results?   You change his food to the next bag in line.  I mixed the 2 foods together to gradually introduce it but it seems the new food does not mesh well with Whitespot's stomach.   Saturday and Sunday he gassed me out of home and out of vehicle.   Poor guy!  He is still nervous about pooping on leash and then we added a second problem. : (

Last night around midnight I was cursing having taught him to ring the bells at the door.  He was so restless and he kept ringing them to go outside 'just in case'.   I hated to ruin the good results of training so I responded each time.  On the last trip outside, I took him for a bit of a walk and then he finally settled around 1:00 in the morning and fell asleep.

On a night like that, living in an apartment, you can't help but wish for a backyard with a door you can just slide open for them to go out.

We switched back to the food he was previously enjoying, added some pumpkin and hopefully all will be well again today.  


3 comments:

Royal K9 Korner said...

Great thinking Lisa. Pumpkin should certainly help. When Duchess Sammy stayed with us she had a very sensitive tummy as well. I also always gradually introduce different foods. Even though it took over a week for her to adjust to it. Small amounts of pumpkin, bland chicken and rice seemed to help her tummy adjust.
Good for you teaching Whitespot about the bells. Thats one thing we had to eliminate when we trained P. Mollydawg. She is so clever and bossy, we feared she would use them for EVERY time SHE wanted to be in the yard. What a sassy brat lol

camkid said...

That pumpkin is a great thing! I add a teaspoon in Silky's food once or twice a week and it's really good for their digestion. I know how you feel about the middle of the night wakeup. It happened to Silky a couple of weeks ago at 3am! She never wakes me so I knew it was urgent. Turns out she had diarreah and I let her out just in time. The dogs seem to know when it's really important that they go out. That checkup with Dr Ubi is fabulous news. I'm so glad that White Spot doesn't need surgery.

katydogcrazy said...

I am so blessed - I live (on a friend's acreage) on about 1 1/2 acres behind a 6'fence, with a dog door. I STILL get the odd accident in the house from my 4 rescues, but 2 of them are old dogs now (big dogs, at 14 and 15)so that's life. I really admire dedicated dog guardians who are apartment dwellers!