Friday, April 15, 2011

DARN LEASH

It doesn’t seem to matter how long or short the leash is…a dog will get tangled!  
There must be a law stating that.


Notice that Whitespot is now harness free?  He is outfitted with a Martingale collar and a quick release collar with his ID tag.   I have two leashes attached to each other and clip one on each collar.  When we get somewhere and I want to give him a little more length I just unclip the leash on the ID collar and he has about 12'.   

A couple of days ago I took Whitespot for a walk at our usual beach.  We had a good long walk and when we were driving home I stopped at a fenced and gated soccer field.   We walked the perimeter and knowing that all gates were closed properly I dropped the leash.  He stayed by my side until he realized his new freedom.  He ran to the fence, promptly peed and then sniffed some good smells on the ground.  Meanwhile, I continued walking.   I was nervous about him being unhooked from me because a soccer field is still a large enough area to make getting a reluctant dog difficult.   But, when I was about 50 feet or so away he looked up at me.  I waived him over and he trotted right towards me.  WHEW!   He did this easily a few times and then just resumed walking by my side.  We only stayed a short amount of time and there are no real big distractions in that field but it’s nice to know we can work on off leash recall in a safe place.  

Whitespot has an appointment at the vet tomorrow for his 4 week follow-up.  Fingers crossed that he is healing well.  From the outside he looks great!  I want the vet to say he looks good on the inside too.  


1 comment:

camkid said...

Wow Lisa that's so great about White Spot and his actions in the soccer field; it's really nerve wracking the first time you "let them loose" and worry that they won't come back. White Spot is an awesome dog and I hope that his adoption will be great.