Wednesday, April 29, 2015

THEEYO FX

This dog comes with sounds effects.  When he wants something like breakfast, or help up onto the bed he sounds a bit like a racoon.  He also does a bit of a back and forth dance with his feet.  I didn't catch it full force but things never happen the same when you get the camera out....must be dog's law.




We had a great trust-building opportunity last night.  We were walking with my friend and her dog (TG alumni Bella Donna) and we came across a dog in its front yard off leash.  This is a friendly dog that we already know and her and Bella are both big dogs and play well together.  As soon as I saw the other dog off leash I calmly picked up Theeyo and moved slightly away (no petting him and no soothing words).  Bella and the other dog started to rip around the street playing a game of chase and a bit of wrestling.  Theeyo had started out concerned about it all but quickly realized I was keeping him safe and when the other dog came up to me to check him out I turned the other way to prevent the dog from jumping up to him.   He actually became quite relaxed in my arms and just watched the other dogs play.   It was so nice to see him work through that moment and I was grateful for the perfect opportunity to be his hero.  Because of moments like this he will begin to learn trust, and be comfortable when I choose to let him meet a new dog.  The amount of time it takes to build that initial trust is individual to each dog.  I think this step is what is missing for so many of those little dogs we see who are lunging and barking their heads off at other dogs. 

When our walk was done we stood around chatting for a bit and Theeyo plunked himself down at my feet with his head on my shoe and there was my reward!  Such subtle small things can mean so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a little communicator..
He looks so sweet & lovable!
Wendy