Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SPRING FLOWER

These Turtle Gardens dog names always leave me with such good blog titles!
 
Flower at Turtle Gardens

Flower is a very special little dog. She came to town and attended three days of the Pet Lover Show at the Tradex and then I picked her up Sunday night. She looked bigger in her picture so I was quite surprised to see how little she is. She’s about knee high and has a coat for -19 weather so needless to say she’s found our Lower Mainland early Spring weather a tad warm. I see some shedding in her future.

Waiting for a treat...

She comes across as shy but maybe reserved is a better word. She has so many new experiences ahead of her and I suspect she will take it all in with a watchful eye. She has a steady temperament....she is a river that runs deep. I have never fostered a Karelian but have seen how they behave when they have come down on prior dog runs. They are planners and are very smart. Flower is no exception. She was hunting pack rats up North and upon arriving at my place she quickly zoned in on the path the rats take around our building. I have a large field across the street from our complex and the rats travel along the front of our building at the fence line. She can’t wait to get out there and sniff them out. It seems she has a very good sense of smell and her hearing is sharp. I think she relies on those two senses more than eye sight even.

She is easy to walk on the leash and jumps in the truck and rides nicely....laying down the whole ride. She has not embraced dog daycare but I’m hoping she finds some enjoyment in it by the end of the week when it is more familiar. I think I will need a bit of time with Flower to determine what type of home she would like. Does she want/need to hunt or will she be happy to adapt to being a city dog with different goals? She is enjoying affection and after a day was coming to me to be petted and today she has started to be playful.

She likes dehydrated chicken treats and will give you a cute tail wag and she takes them so gently.  I have brushed her a bit and she seems to enjoy it.   I will write more in the coming days as I get to know her. 

2 comments:

Megs said...

Aww, she sounds adorable!! Happy to hear she is starting to ask for pets and getting playful. I met her at the trade show too, I definitely agree about her reserved yet stable aura. Please keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

Our very pretty girl has a lot of life skills to learn! She looks very Thaltan in this picture. Thanks for a taking on this challenge! Sincerely, Yvette