Sunday, March 29, 2015

FLOWER'S ONE MONTH UPDATE

Pretty Flower!
Flower has been with me for one month and she has come a long way since she arrived.  She is bonding with me and she has become more and more playful.  She is very quirky and they are finding this at dog daycare too.  She play bows for just about everything....all with a little wag of her tail.   She's really a sweet dog with a gentle nature.   I haven't been blogging much about her for a couple of reasons.  I've been busy tending to a nasty cold and that hasn't been inspiring me to write much but also because it has been unclear to me what kind of home Flower needs.  Without my help at home she will pace and remain unsettled, wanting to go out the door and hunt the rats and squirrels that she knows are passing by my place with high frequency.  A walk will help to settle her for a bit and so will some games or play time with toys but then she stops and goes back to the door.   She doesn't do this at dog daycare.  In fact she really doesn't do any sniffing from the truck to the door at daycare.  I don't think she associates her time there with hunting whereas at my place my door goes straight to the outdoors and little critters that she can smell have just run by.  She gets excited to get out there.

Searching for little four legged friends on the long line.
This has been leading me to believe that she might be better in a home with a job, or for sure in a home with someone that will give her the mental stimulation she needs.   She needs the mental work more than the physical.  She is not an off leash dog for the city, as her hunting nose will carry her wherever she needs to go, which could put her in danger on the roads.   So, how to keep her satisfied in the city has been the question.

Before Turtle Gardens decides to send her up North to find a more rural home she is going to move to another foster for a bit to see if she behaves the same.  If she can move to a home that offers her some different choices in a different setting will she relax into city life better?   I hope so.

Running back to me when called.
She has no issues with city things like heavy traffic, lots of people, city noises.   I've walked her down No 3 Road in Richmond and she navigates through everything with a very relaxed stride.   I've taken her on trails, to dog parks, on city walks and she has no issues.  Although if we go to the school field and she sees a squirrel she lays down and doesn't want to budge from her spot.  She learned a few weeks ago though that I will pick her up and plop her back on her feet so she now mostly saves herself from that by moving along when asked to.   

Here's a video of Flower with the Aikiou dish.  On her second try she had all of the compartments emptied in 4 minutes.  I suspect she would keep getting faster and faster.  I've tried her on a few other dog puzzles and she remains interested for quite a while until she figures it out.


A couple of final pics just to show that she does know how to enjoy her comforts once she's ready to settle in for the night.   She has 'her' spot on the couch.  If we're playing she can actually throw her body up onto the couch sideways instead of jumping up head first.  I'll have to try to catch that on video.  She has a way of making you believe she's not as agile or quick as she actually is able to be. 



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is looking beautiful and relaxed in the city. Hopefully she will find her perfect match for her lifestyle and personality. Beauty and brains - a difficult combination for a working breed.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully this special dog will find the right special person for her... Do you think that in spite of her strong hunting drive that she's also trainable ie learning good recall ?
Wendy

Lisa B said...

Wendy, I get the feeling that if she thought someone shared her goals that she'd bond hard enough to want to come to her person. She needs to be with someone that 'gets' her and she's smart enough to recognize that.

That being said you'd probably still have to pick your timing of when to call her. Maybe with jackpot rewards of high value she could learn too.

Anonymous said...

She'd have a hey day patrolling my (fenced) yard... An acre with trees, bush & loads of bunnies, deer & rats. My dogs and most of the dogs I look after aren't particularly interested.. They just lye about the house and wait for their off leash walks at the end of the day.
Sounds like Flower might enjoy a set up similar to this one ? ..where she can enjoy the best of both worlds, ie. Rural (large fenced yard) and semi- civilization, ie. regular outings with her best human friend... who's committed to positive training.
Wendy

Lisa B said...

Wendy - if you or someone you know is interested, please get in touch with TG : )

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, ..Wish I did know of someone... I'm just not in a position to adopt another at present. I'm hoping the perfect person for her comes along soon, however!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, How are you and Flower power?.. Haven't heard an update in awhile. Best to you,