Monday, May 12, 2014

QUINCY AND BARLEY HAVE ARRIVED!

Quincy on the left / Barley on the Right
This past Saturday was dog run day....yahoo!  I’ve missed fostering and to make up for lost time I signed up for two fosters.  That is not my ‘norm’ at all but with one dog being 6 lbs and the other 13 lbs that’s still not a whole lot of dog weight-wise.  When I drove up to the dog run the first dog of my two that I saw was Quincy the Boston/Chi X and my first comment to Gloria, who was gearing him up with a leash and collar, was that he had such a cute but homely face...and I loved it! 


He has the cutest little under bite that usually shows just one tooth sticking a teeny bit out of his mouth and with the absence of any markings on his face he just looked different than any other Boston type dog I had seen before.  He has a look that grows on you very very quickly.  I then went to the TG truck and met Barley.  He was wagging his tail, happy to see me, although a little scared to come out of the crate but we soon fixed that.  He has hardly stopped wagging his tail since then.  


Quincy was frozen to one spot but was willing to try walking around the parking lot a little bit with Gloria, and Barley was willing to move around quite easily but with no direction and not sure of the leash holding him back.  What a mis-matched pair....the biggest thing they had in common was their small size.   I took them from the dog run to the vet and Quincy had his shots and Barley was neutered and had shots.  Both faired really well.  With Barley having his neuter that gave me some time to get to know Quincy a bit.   


Checkin out the flowers
He bonds quite quickly to whoever seems to be ‘his’ person at the moment – at the dog run it was Gloria and he had little interest in going with me and then he quickly transferred that attachment to me.  He is not clingy but he definitely wants the security of belonging to someone.  


 So far he seems to be a fairly mellow and serious dude but who knows who he will be once he settles in and gets comfortable.  Will he be bouncy or will he stay serious and slightly aloof?  Part of that will be up to the confidence building he receives and part of that will depend on his true nature.  As for Barley, he is happy with everything!  He has been a little bit restless since his arrival and wants to explore quite a bit.  I'm not sure how he will be as he settles either but I suspect he might like a life with interest....gardening, interesting walks with things to see and smell, people to meet, car rides and such....

Ain't I cute?
Quincy and Barley are getting along quite fine....Barley loves Quincy and Quincy kind of just seems to accept Barley vs. loving him.  They will eat or drink out of the same dish and that's okay, but when Barley tried to mount Quincy he got told off.  Both dogs are very quiet and have only barked when the neighbours came outside in the yard next door....they weren't sure if they belonged there so they barked, but once they realized they weren't going anywhere both dogs settled and went about their business again.  Both are riding well in the vehicle and while Quincy is walking very easily on the leash now Barley continues to wander around and bump into both me and Quincy....just getting in the way in general.  He hasn't quite grasped the walking in a straight line thing yet.  

Both dogs have received multiple applications and Quincy has already met one couple.  I don't think either dog will be hanging around like Sunshine did...that's for sure!

Lastly...here's a quick video...Barley the wagger and Quincy who wants to go inside and eat.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quincy has a little crooked tail like my bad ass Stedman!Tiny Barley reminds me of a lighter Pixie the wonder dog. Nice pups again!

Unknown said...

I can't believe its been almost 2 years since we adopted Quincy (now named Beans). He has grown into a very different dog then the one we picked up at the sky train! he is now very playful and full of attitude - a real dogs, dog. His favorite pastimes include: Camping, running laps around the house during a game of fetch, and of course cuddling on the couch. He has managed to put a few pounds on and now carries himself with much more confidence. It is really great to be able to look back at this blog and see how far he has come. I said it once and I'll say it again. This blog does a great service in aiding the fast paced process of adopting a dog. Thank you so much for all you do/have done, it does not go unappreciated!

Lisa B said...

No, it really doesn't seem like 2 years at all. I'm thrilled to hear how well he is doing. The love of a good home does wonders for rescue dogs! Thanks for the comment and for helping Beans be all he can be!!