Friday, May 16, 2014

1 WEEK UPDATE WITH QUINCY AND BARLEY

Well its been one week with my two fosters and Barley has been a cone-head for a good portion of it.  He has gone cone free when I'm able to supervise him closely but bedtime and a few other times he's needed a cone to stop him from fussing with his stitches (he was neutered last Saturday).  I suppose as they heal the incision gets itchy, aggravated by pointy stitch ends and shaved hair growing back in.  Poor little dude!

Cone free with an abandoned piece of carrot in the background.
Quincy is doing very well and he is becoming more comfortable with me and I've seen more and more little stubby tail wags.  A couple of nights ago I ran the circuit around my place - from the kitchen, down the hallway and through the living room/dining room.  I'd do three laps with both Quincy and Barley following in hot pursuit and then stop when I got to the living room.  Barley was beside himself with excitement and Quincy forgot himself for a moment and let himself cut loose and prance around a bit and for his little reserved self he was excited.

Dinner time for the first few days was a challenge as you know two dogs will always want whats in the other dog's bowl.  But with one dog being twice the size of the other I needed to be sure that they each got the food they should have, quantity-wise.  So they finally learned how persistent I could be and they now eat without swapping - until they're both done and only then can they check the other dog's empty dish just to be sure it's empty.



At dog daycare Barley has been playing with Pixie - another Turtle Gardens dog that was adopted by Sarah from my dog daycare.  They are very similar in looks and personality and they identified with each other very quickly.  Quincy is fine at daycare too but his experience is different as he's more focused on the staff.  He sniffs other dogs and is fine being sniffed in return and then he goes and finds a human to follow or sit on a lap.  I think in time he will find his inner playful puppy.

Here's a pic to show you what a good daycare day does to a dog.

Riding home in the truck.

It is always Barley wanting to be with Quincy.  I haven't seen Quincy make many moves towards Barley although for the most part he doesn't seem to mind the company.  I think Quincy will be happy being an only dog while Barley would love to have a 4 legged companion in his home to play with and mimic and curl up with.

More news to come in the next couple of days....hint hint....

No comments: