Sunday, September 2, 2012

...AND THE GOLDEN GLOW AWARD GOES TO...

  

I really love taking pics at sunset.  You get the most
amazing light at that time of day.
I've had Charlie with me for two weeks now.  There are so many wonderful things about this dog.  He is affectionate, cuddly, fun and playful.   He walks well on leash and rides really well in the car.   He rarely barks except in play and he is great off leash.   He sleeps through the night on his own bed, he never jumps up on furniture and he rides really well in the vehicle.  


Charlie's prior family reported that he has had a nervous stomach during the time that they had him and they found that holistic food helped him although I'm not sure if he ever achieved the best results completely.   He still only seems to poop two or three times a day but just not the best formation of poop you'd hope for (sorry I know...not the best subject).   He has been eating good quality kibble while with me and with pumpkin mixed in he seems to be getting better.  I've also been adding in a spoonful of yoghurt with probiotics at some point during the day - thanks for the great suggestion Yvette.  


This blog is a little bit random.  I hadn't really blogged very much about some of Charlie's bio and thought it was about time.  You can't always write just about happy trips down to the beach...can you?

A few months after Charlie's people had adopted him, they discovered he needed surgery on one of the back leg knee caps.  I believe they said the vet had thought it was an old injury from his time prior to TG.  Anyhow, on the vet papers they list the procedure as - Patella Fixation with Grooving.  Charlie does not walk with any difficulty or limp.  The surgery was back in June 2011 and there doesn't seem to have been any problems since. 


Well now that the business is out of the way, I can only add that Charlie and I have had a bunch of fun down at the beach this last week. He was going in and out of the water with me but not to the point of swimming until a couple of days ago.  He fetched a stick to the point where his feet lifted off the bottom and he swam a few strokes.   He was back in the water alot today and was swimming more and more.  He seems to really like the water.  Talk about your skinny little stick legs though...you should see him once all his fluffy fur has been wetted down.   We met up with Paula and Gloria today so between us we had 6 dogs and we were a strong TG representation!  

On Saturday we had a special meeting with Glenn and Glenda from Kamloops.  They are supporters of Turtle Gardens and they were in town for the day and I was so happy to go and meet them at the beach.  I hadn't seen them in over a year and we caught up and talked dog, of course.  They loved Charlie, but what's not to love!   That's one of the great perks of fostering...all the great people you meet that you wouldn't have otherwise known.  

I have a busy week ahead of me, but I'm sure I'll find some time to catch up at the end of the week with some new pictures and will try to get video of Charlie swimming. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlie is so beautiful in the magic golden twilight.
I wish I could adopt two...(not the right time)
Charlie and Bekka would be a handsome pair. They could even be related ??
I have strong opinions about diet as I have seen the results in canine and human..
I hesitate with my ideas though as not everyone (most people) are prepared (or able) to feed what I would suggest... as it doesn't include commercial pet food..... much.
May I suggest the idea of adding raw or semi-raw veggies & greens (& other un-processed) food to kibble...? (kibble is so processed)
I buy green beans, peas (b.c. grown) frozen bags when on sale & add things ... like flax oil, boiled eggs, meat, fish, yogurt,carrots .. etc...;steamed yams... varieties... of healthy, wholesome PEOPLE food.(lots of veggies)
So far, dogs i feed this to have perfect stool, coats, skin, health.
Many people who feed along these lines claim their vet bills decrease because their dogs don't get sick.
Such an awesome job you do with the dogs and your blog Lisa.
Wendy

Jean said...

What a happy looking boy! Sounds like he is settling in just fine and will make a wonderful family member in the right home. Sure hope my friends who are interested in him get to meet him!

Anonymous said...

He is for sure glowing ' he is just beautiful' i love his look'' he will be a great Pet Lisa ! cheersPolly B