Saturday, July 21, 2012

RONA AND MATTISUE

Rona - rollin in the grass
This last week Rona has made some real strides in her vehicle travels.  She now jumps in on her own.  It takes a bit of patience though.  You have to wait for her while she puts the brakes on several times on the way to the vehicle.  She stops and won't move but with persistance and the willingness to wait, she knows she might as well go along with it and then she moves and even wags her tail a bit.  She really is way better than she was a couple of weeks ago.  She doesn't even drool as much as before.  Just a couple of strings of drool.  So she has advanced to comfy bedding for her ride.   She jumps in, lays down and doesn't seem to stress very much.   I'm so proud of her.  I suspect she may backslide a little once she's adopted but if an adopter stays consistent to the approach we've been taking she should get back on track and continue improving quite easily.   Rona has 8 or more applications and we are meeting one applicant tomorrow.  Each of the applications has some real strong qualities but this week I've been seeing that Rona would really blossom well with another dog in the home, so I'm focussing on those applications first. 

Mattisue
Today was a dog run day and I've done something I said I'd never do.  I'm fostering two dogs at a time. I really like doing the single foster as I like to give a dog my full focus, however I really wanted to meet Mattisue as TG suspects she may be Fergus' mom.  I fostered Fergus earlier this year and really loved the little guy.  Several fosters later and he's still on my mind.   Mattisue was going to travel down with her pups and so I found myself asking Yvette if I can foster her as well as Rona.  I also felt that an extra dog in the home could really help give Rona that last little bit of push to get past any hesitation for truck rides. 

With Mattisue on the scene Rona has already been different today.   She's soliciting attention from me more, has been more playful and seems more confident in a few ways.   This has me thinking how much nicer it would be for her to have another dog in her life. 

This has been a really big week for Mattisue.  Shaved down, spayed, travel to Delta and then in a new home minus her pups.  She has been wagging her tail lots and asking for affection.  She's a very sweet dog. I look forward to seeing her come out of her shell in the coming days.  It's sad that she's separated from her pups but without them she can become a bouncy carefree city dog.


Cute Mattisue - with her little whippy tail

Playful Rona
Here's a picture of how Mattisue arrived at Turtle Gardens, full of matts:

So matted with overgrown coat you can hardly make
out where her cute little face is.
And, would you look at the cute little dog that was beneath all of that:
Look at the great shave down momma Yvette gave Mattisue. 
Her once matted body is now silky soft.
After the dog run we came home and sat outside for a while.  We took a quick trip to Vancouver to pick up some supplies and then back home for a group nap.  Rona flaked out on the Kuranda bed and Mattisue was happy to join me on the couch.  I was really grateful that they were in agreement with the plan because I'd been up late the night before and dog run days are always an early start.   

Stay tuned for more pics in the coming days.  I have a hunch I'll be able to post video of the two fosters playing together really soon. 

4 comments:

Emily said...

Welcome to more than one foster ville. Do a smell a foster failure ;)

Trunk is always on my mind too. Sometimes I wonder about if she had of stayed here/become a farm dog, etc. Lemon is the better fit overall, but if Trunk ever EVER needed to come back, I'd snatch her up. I think every once in awhile you find a kindred spirit in a dog :)

Anonymous said...

Awww this is so great ' sometimes an other dog is a rescue support ' and works in a double whammy way ' its all about how to help each ohter human or canine ' i love your blog lisa and great job.. Polly b '

turtlegardens said...

You did a great job on the dog run! And both dogs look so content. Mattisue had a home at one time - you can help her remember the good life and forget her last year!

Ashley said...

Yay Lisa! They look great. I'm sad I was out of town for this dog run but I know there will be more in my future! Mattiesue will help Rona the same way that cooper fosters Tess for me. Have a meet and greet tomorrow so hopefully she will go home soon!