Monday, July 9, 2012

DEAR ABBY: I don't seem to be able to keep foster dogs very long



I won't know until tomorrow for sure, but she may already be adopted.  More on that later though.   When I picked Rona up yesterday we went pretty slow in getting her into the truck as she's had issues with riding in the vehicle.  She was already afraid of the truck just walking up to it and it's not like she knows my vehicle yet.   My dilemma was that I was parked on the street so if she wouldn't approach she was then in the middle of the road.  (Duh...just occurred to me I have a passenger door too!).   I picked her up and put her in the back seat area and sat with her for quite a long while until she relaxed.  I then closed one door and eventually the driver's door.   We stayed in the truck for a while and then started it.  Again after many, many minutes, I pulled away from the curb and went a short bit and then stopped...another short block and then stop.  All in all the trip wasn't too bad considering she had previously been drooling, peeing and throwing up.   We got it down to  two out of the three.  I spent last night walking her past the truck and opening the doors and then heading out for a walk.   Yesterday we eliminated the throwing up and after this morning we eliminated the peeing, because she was relaxed enough with me to pee while on leash.  Lots of drool blown into bubbles but at one point she sat up to see where we were going.  I really feel this can be worked out with her so she can begin to enjoy the rides and where they take her.  She had a good day at dog daycare.  Walked very nicely in through the door and even left me behind quite well.  Apparently she spent her time wandering around and she played a little too. 

Last night after we got to my place she checked out my little yard and then inside to explore.  She wanted to see everything so upstairs we went and then back down to eat some food and drink some water.   Later in the evening we went out for a walk.  She's not bad on the leash, she was a little uncertain passing parked cars but eventually relaxed.  She wasn't worried about cars driving past.   By the end of our walk we hung around outside for a while and she leaned into me for some affection and then initiated some play, so I guess she thought I was 'okay' by that point.    She slept really well on the dog blanket next to my bed and she stayed there right through the night.  

After dog daycare she was pretty pooped out but we walked a couple of blocks to the park to work off the stress of the drive and she sniffed around a little and then found a shady spot to snooze for a bit.  She's been pretty mellow so far.





I know I have grass on my nose....I meant to put it there



So tired after daycare, but still sitting up
fighting off the sleep - eventually she
caved in and put her head down.

1 comment:

windowscapes said...

I tried to post a comment before but I don't think it went trough.
We have adopted Rona's sister Rook and are so happy. Rona is the spitten image of Rook except they eyes. I am so happy to see updates on Rona as I am pushing for friends to adopt her. Whoever gets this lovely Rona will be as lucky as us as to have Rook!