Tuesday, March 20, 2012

FERGUS....WHAT IS HIS PERFECT HOME?


There have been so many applications for Fergus now I can't count.   Alot of really great homes, but I'm not sure if people are applying because they want a cute little Poodle pocket type dog or if they want the real Fergus...the Fergus who jumps the divider at dog daycare to be on the big dog side.    He has a bigger personality than a little dog.  He is full of bouncy energy but also knows how to relax.  Without boundaries I fear he would not realize his full potential.  He is not high maintenance but like most dogs and even people for that matter...they are always better when they know where they stand and are not spoiled.  

He can go to a home with or without kids, cats, other dogs.  He is best if he is given a couple of walks in a day.  If his person only had one hour to walk him he'd be better with two half hour walks than one longer walk.  He needs some interest in his day to break it up.  He will relax at home for three to four hours and then will get bored and will look for a car ride, or a walk or some time playing fetch.   He is fun, and happy and entertaining and a great dog to have around.  His biggest requirement is only that he have someone who has expectations of good manners, someone who will not spoil him but will ask him to work for his dinner, sit and wait for open doors, have patience to make him walk on a loose leash and work on recall so he can run full tilt at the beach and come back reliably.  

He would be awesome at agility if someone chose to take him.  He is smart and learns quite quickly, but can be persistent until he sees you will out wait him.  

So if you are looking for a big dog in a little package, he just might be the dog for you...

p.s. Since so many people have asked about his size and had thought he was either bigger or smaller than they thought..he is 13.5 pounds and stands approx 12" at the shoulder.  He is lean and athletic and I'm pretty sure he is the model with the built in spring. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, just confirming you received our application. The more I read about him the more hopeful I am we get a chance to meet him!
I can just picture him swimming the kids at our rec. property.
Please let me know and I will forward it directly if you don't have it. Thanks. Lori

Anonymous said...

I bet it would be fun for Fergus to be adopted into a home with another dog (maybe even a some what larger dog)
Fergus looks feisty, confident, energetic. (am I correct?)
I say this because I have met people with largish dogs who have adopted feisty little dogs and the duo seems to have worked out nicely.
Wendy

Lisa B said...

Good thought Wendy...I was wondering the same thing today. I have friends with a big dog/small dog scenario and it works great.

Fergus is definitly confident and energetic....

Lara H said...

Please take a look at my application sometime today when you have time. I have read everything you have written on Fergus. I have been waiting for a dog like him for 3 years now. I must be as persistent as he is and try to Market myself to you and Yvette :p.

Thanks Lisa-great blog by the way.

Piper said...

We have the big dog, small dog combo. As does my sister and her family. And my latest foster was a chihuahua and I thought she'd do best in a home with a large dog... (from my observations of her with my dogs)...and she ended up being adopted by a family with a Golden Retriever...and it has worked out great!
People with large dogs know how not to pamper a small dog too much...they get treated more like a big dog...which in my opinion is a good thing :)

Emily said...

I'm also a fan of big dog small dog combo :P. (Having one such duo) But, knowing a lot of poodle tyoes, they also do well with frequent trips to the dog park/daycare and lots of people time.

Being a social butterfly doesn't necessarily mean they like sharing their home :). I actually find more confident dogs have a great time being single dogs.

But you will choose the best home :) Although I know many great homes sometimes leave empty handed in the process.