Monday, August 15, 2011

ISABELLE'S FIRST TRIP TO THE BEACH


It's different fostering a 12 year old compared to all the teenagers I've fostered, because it's likely that Isabelle has already seen alot of different things and maybe knows some basic obedience already.   She certaily sat quickly tonight when I asked her to, but then I did have the valuable dinner dish in my hands at the time.  I honestly have never seen a dog hoover down dinner so quickly.  She was so tired after her journey yesterday that she ate from the dinner dish, drank some water and then laid down right next to the dishes.  She only got up...and rather quickly I might add, once I opened the fridge door.  It seems Isabelle and the fridge are good buddies already.  She has turned her nose up at any vegetable I've offered her (other than canned pumpkin), so that leaves me wondering what wonderful things used to come from the fridge for her. 

When we went for our first walk around my block yesterday she was tired and the full block seemed like just enough for her to do all her business and then come back in for a long nap.   She was much more energetic today and she had her first day of dog daycare.  She showed up at their door full of wags and went in willingly.  Apparently she slept most of the afternoon but she did well for her first day with all the dogs. 




After daycare I took Isabelle to the beach to see if she liked to swim.  Yvette had suggested swimming as a good exercise to help Isabelle lose some weight.   She went right into the water and bowed her front end in for a dip.  I assume she enjoyed the cold water and was dunking herself in to cool down.  When I went knee deep in the water she was happy to walk around a little deeper and almost to the point of swimming but not quite.   We covered more distance in our walk today than we did yesterday, and she had a little more spring in her step.  She was giving me alot more eye contact today too and was almost a little playful. 



She is the funniest thing when she greets other dogs.  She has a bit of a growly voice when we're approaching a dog that I interpret as just communication with no threat behind it.  It's almost as if she's asking for their respect in advance and all the dogs treated her differently than any other dog I've fostered.  With some dogs she went up to them and sniffed and they just stood without sniffing her back, and then she would move on when she was done with them.   They do actually give her respect, it was interesting to watch.   There were a couple of over eager pups and she just barked at them and they too seemed to understand quickly not to mess with her.   She's like the grandma putting the young wipper-snappers in their place. 

She was very interested in a couple of people on the beach as the woman was holding a container of fruit.  I guess I have a very food motivated dog here.  She didn't want to leave their company in case something was going to come her way.  She is good on the leash though and with a little prompting she was willing to leave with me.  


Isabelle catching an interesting scent in the air...there's
definitely nothing wrong with this dog's nose.

She gets willingly into the truck now but needs a little boost to get up.  We went home and she ate her dinner and has been sawing logs ever since.   She's been twitching alot like she's dreaming about running at the beach still.   She's so cute and she loves attention.  She nudges your hand if you dare to stop petting her.  She has enjoyed a good brushing and tonight she rolled right onto her back to have her belly brushed.   It took her three tries to get onto her back and stay there without rolling back to her side but once there she enjoyed a good grooming.   I can't wait to see her trim down some more.  We are going to work slowly on building her endurance as we're working against weight and age and I don't want to push her too hard.  I'm going to take her to the fenced dog park next and since you walk a loop I can see how far she chooses to go on her own.
A short break in our walk, which I chose for her and she got
up a few minutes later wanting to carry on.

2 comments:

Duchess Sammy said...

Take pride in knowing that YOU are adding not just health, pleasure, faith and reasurance back into her, but probably years to her life, Lisa!
Enjoy it Isabelle, and continue to teach Lisa how wonderful seniors are ;-)

penelope said...

My 11 year old female Border Collie/Shepherd cross had to be put down on August 3 due to abdominal cancer. She had a barrel chest and a personality like Isabelle, and had been tested for Cushing's disease 3 years ago. At the time, the test was inconclusive and somewhat borderline. She also became blind (suspected SARD). Like Isabelle, she LOVED her food. Maybe she should be tested for Cushing's.

Thank you for caring for her the way you do (and thanks to Turtle Garders). Isabelle looks so happy!