Sunday, August 14, 2011

DAY OF THE DOG RUN

Well, today TG brought the dogs to Delta and many happy families came to pick up their new companions.  There were a few of us volunteers helping with the adoptions and it's a shame we didn't have just one extra hand to take pictures because it would be great to capture that moment when people first meet their dog.  Adopters are excited and happy to meet the dog behind the picture they've been starting at for the last week or so and now the live version is in front of them.   It was just over a couple of years ago that one of my friends adopted her TG dog.  I had never heard of Turtle Gardens and I thought it was amazing that people were adopting dogs without having met them first.   Two years later though and I completely see how it works and I'm always in awe of all the great matches that are made.  In fact, in some ways its almost better this way, as I think people don't get as caught up in the looks of the dog as much as the description of the personality.  With Yvette knowing the dogs as well as she does she is a dog-matchmaker extraordinaire.



Isabelle, my new foster dog, came with all of the adopted dogs and other foster dogs.   She is such a sweet and gentle girl.   I don't usually get too caught up in any of the dogs sad history as I want to be a positive energy for each and every dog and pity and sorrow is not a part of that.  But, Isabelle makes me a bit sad.   She is such a beautiful dog inside of a body that is growing old and has grown too big.   She still has so much to offer an adoptive home, like all of the other senior dogs, but for her to have all of these changes so late in her life is what is sad to me.   She needs to lose some weight and she needs to build up endurance.  She needs love and a nice comfy place to relax. She looks solefully into your eyes and wags her tail and she wants to greet people that we pass on the sidewalk so she can wag her happy tail at them too.   I'm very happy to have her here and we will be working slowly but surely on getting her endurance up and hopefully with short walks a few times a day she can continue to trim down.

3 comments:

Del said...

Having had many seniors in my past and two at this very moment, I am so very happy that you have an opportunity to share the love that senior Isabelle has to offer. I truely know that look in those appreciative eyes. Why they have to endure this at this point in their lives??... Duchess has been with us for a solid 9 weeks today. She is beginning to drop her lbs. What a difference in personality when the body is healthier :-) Have fun Lisa & Isabelle. BUT Be forwarned... You will fall in love!

cynda said...

SO well written Lisa, Isabelle will steal your heart. I hope she will find her perfect retirement home. We adopted a senior named Jack many years ago, he was a stray so we never did know his real age, anywhere between 9 to 11. He lived four years and I know we gave him the best four years of his life.

Anonymous said...

Great pics! I am soooo happy Isabelle is down here awaiting the forever home she deserves. Walkies are fun!