Thursday, August 18, 2011

ISABELLE'S DEEP DARK SECRET....

Don't tell anyone that I told you but Isabelle found out today that she's 88 pounds.   It's a blessing that dogs don't need bathing suits to go swimming because if they did, she would end up with one of those aweful, crying in the changing room, kinda days.   So, what are we going to do about it?   Excercise, good food and extras that are good for senior dogs.   I have her eating regular dog kibble and I'm slowly introducing some Medi Cal Weight Management/Mature to her diet.   We received a donation of a couple of bags of food (compliments of Amherst Vet Hospital and thanks to Kathie for arranging that and bringing it to Richmond) and we also received a donation of some Salmon Oil and Glucosamine from Cynda.  I can't wait to start seeing some results!   Isabelle is getting more energy and can walk further than she did on Sunday so she is already improving. 

We drive to the beach after dog daycare and she starts getting excited once we get to the parking lot and she can't wait to get out of the truck and get down to the water.  


We're at the beach....I just know it!

She likes the water, will go in up to her shoulders and walk along side me for a ways which has got to be a pretty good exercise for her.  





She is quite enthusiastic about getting out of the truck when we get home as I'm sure she's smart enough to know that food will be waiting for her once we get inside.   She wolfs down her food fast enough that I can just tuck the Glucosamine in the middle and she didn't suspect a thing. 

Yesterday I went for a hike with a friend at Lighthouse Park and was sad that Isabelle couldn't come along.  She is nowhere near ready for that.  She went to dog daycare in the morning and then Aunty-Dalia picked her up and spent the afternoon with her (thanks so much Dalia).   When I got to Dalia's to pick Isabelle up she looked very happy to be there and seemed to make herself at home quite quickly.  I think that maybe she might even want a home with other dogs who will spur her on to be more active.   Once she starts to lose some weight and with some more excercise I feel really optimistic that she will get her endurance up and will be more springy and playful.  I see a look in her eyes that tells me she still has it in her.

She may be 88 pounds but she is full of love.  She craves attention and I just love her personality.   She is a very good, easy going girl!

3 comments:

Jean B said...

So glad you are enjoying fostering this senior, Lisa. My Sadie came in at 89 pounds, and a year later was 58 pounds, which she has maintained for the past two and a half years. Some of her weight loss was due to a good diet and exercise (and certainly the maintenance is), but she was also found to have a thyroid problem. Do you know if Isabelle has been checked for this?

Lisa B said...

That's an encouraging comment Jean and also good to know how long it takes for that many pounds to come off. I will ask Yvette if Isabelle's thyroid was checked.

Isabelle is a real sweetheart and the more time I spend with her the more badly I want her to stay a bit longer so I can see her start to transform into a lighter energetic dog. Next task is cleaning her ears out and a bath this weekend : )

turtlegardens said...

Good girl Isabelle. If I can lose weight so can you. Pumpkin is your best friend! Yvette