Tuesday, January 18, 2011

To chew or not to chew?

So far in my fostering career I haven’t lost any items to chewing, unless you count half of a shoelace.   My schedule is set up for fostering in such a way that the dogs have very little time alone in any room.   They go to dog daycare during the day and are with me all evening for relaxing, walking, training, brushing, etc.   On Saturday I wanted to see what Kibbles boredom threshold was, so I took him out for a quick morning pitstop and then went back inside to watch and wait.   It took until just after noon for him to get bored and start eyeing things up for chewing potential.   He mouthed the corner of my coffee table and was told ‘no’, he thought the fringe on the edge of the carpet near the kitchen looked appetizing and was again told ‘no’.   And, last but not least he tried to steal the small rocks out of a plant pot to chew on them and when he wasn’t allowed to do that he thought a little nibble on the basket holding the pot might be a good idea.  To break the boredom we went to the dog park and when we got home he barely lifted his head off the floor for ages.

Most times he is so tired from dog daycare or from our walks that he doesn’t have the desire to chew on anything other than the toys laying around.   He is still just 9 months old so I suspect if left alone for too long and without exercise, he could be the destroyer of many household items.   So…a well exercised Kibbles is a well behaved Kibbles.  

Kibbles picks a toy:

No comments: