Thursday, October 28, 2010

Dogless in Richmond

So, it feels like forever since I've had a dog fostered with me.   Rosie went a while ago to her new home and there hasn't been a dog run from up North yet.  Those dog runs take alot of work for Turtle Gardens so I know I have to be patient until everything comes together to bring a van of dogs down.   I usually spend my 'down time' doing things I don't normally do when I have a dog (going to movies, shopping for stuff I don't need, etc).  Unfortunately I usually don't get as much walking in and I end up spending more money on things I don't need.  Two very good reasons for me to have foster dogs !!  

Another week and a bit and I should hopefully have another dog to show the sights in the Lower Mainland.   I will have a canopy on my truck by then making it easier for me to work on testing each dogs ability to be left alone.   Usually in the first one or two weeks of a new foster it's really hard to trust leaving them in the vehicle when you go into a store for a few mintues, as I value my upholstery.  I also don't leave them alone in my apartment for fear of them crying or barking and disturbing my neighbours.  So far I haven't had a single complaint as I have had so many quiet, well behaved dogs.  The most I leave them alone at home is to go upstairs to the laundry room and they're usually sitting by the front door waiting for me to come back in (no crying or barking...just waiting).

The dogs I have fostered so far have been great with being alone in the vehicle for a short amount of time (usually under 15 minutes) but I'm always nervous leaving them for the first few times, not knowing what they will do alone in the vehicle.  Adoptive homes typically want to know how a dog will do with being left alone, whether its for 15 minutes or 4 hours....so with a canopied truck I can give them a nice little 'den' that is virtually indestructible and I can test their ability to be left alone.  

I have been fostering now for a year and a bit and I'm loving it!  If anyone has any interest in fostering please contact Turtle Gardens and if you have any questions ask Yvette to pass me your email address.  I'd be happy to talk to anyone about my own experience.   

No comments: