Sunday, July 21, 2013

GRIFFIN GOES TO THE BEACH



Griffin has been with me for one week now and I've seen a big improvement in how the tries to use his weight to push to where he wants to go.  Whether its on leash or in/out of doors he was stubborn and pushy.  He has since discovered that I am more stubborn and will out wait him at any door or on any leash.  In a matter of a few days he realized he only goes through a door once he either hangs back and waits, or if he sits patiently.  After a full week of this practice he now just stands back at the door at home and waits until I've unlocked and opened the door, I walk through and then he follows.  On leash he is pulling alot less and after our trip to the beach yesterday our evening walk consisted of him trailing very tiredly behind me.  He just needs to realize he can get everything he wants without pushing for it.  I have also stopped giving him any attention for pawing me.  His feet are big and his nails can hurt, so he is learning to stare at me with those soulful eyes of his and he gets affection without the paw. 

So as I type this blog, Griffin is just soaking up the morning sun  on the patio:


'was that a shutter I heard?....just give me 5 more minutes"
Yesterday, we met up with Paula and TG dog Silky at my favorite beach and Griffin really enjoyed himself.  He met all dogs with a good greeting, except one un-neutered male who came strutting up and stared Griffin down.  I caught his body language in time to grab his collar and he settled but that dog wasn't leaving until the owner came and got him.  I was told that he is good with all dogs at daycare including one unneutered male so the beach dog's challenging stance must have been what made him not like that guy.   He met people and dogs with a happy wag and he surprised me by being so good on leash even with the new distractions. 

We got to the water and he acted like he had never seen water and waves and he was hesitant about wading in.  A little verbal coaxing (and I MAY have pretended to have a treat in my hand) got him up to his belly.



This is his 'no further' look on the face
but....I'll walk along side you instead
 

After his first few times of getting his feet wet he went in a bit easier each time.  I think with enough exposure to water he might even learn to like swimming.  Maybe he just needs to observe all of those other water-loving Labs at the beach for a while longer.  

Griffin's endurance seems pretty good, but with it being such a hot day we were careful not to overdo it.  We stopped in the shade on our walk back to cool down for a bit.


'we're going home now....right?'


Griffin spent the rest of the day flaked out.  He was so pooped he didn't even entertain eating his dinner until 9:00 at night.  He is a very easy dog to have around.  

Here is a quick video I caught, of Griffin's stair waddle.  He looks so cute going down the stairs, with his whole bum and tail in motion.  I couldn't catch him doing the whole length of stairs because he now stops to wait for me if I don't come with him the whole way. 


1 comment:

camkid said...

Thank you for the wonderful visit and outing with me and Silky; we had a fabulous time. Griffin is a gentle soul who is super friendly and even Silky who is ever so particular about which dogs she likes, was very well behaved and friendly with Griffin. He stood so quietly for pats and leans into you for more! I hope he finds his furever home soon. Thank you Lisa for doing such a great job with Griffin.