Monday, November 8, 2010

Abby is my new foster.





Abby - 2 year old, approx 50 lb, spayed female 

When I first picked Abby up I was stunned at what a pretty dog she is.   The pictures as good as they may be just don't do her justice.   She is dainty, very very soft, agile and really smart.   She is a failed adoption only due to her prey drive.   The home she was in needed her to be more docile around sheep, chickens, etc and she just wanted too badly to get after them.   She was perfect in every other way though and I can tell they have done some good training with her.   

She has taken a couple of days to respond to me on a walk.   At first she would listen and walk nicely on the leash but she was distracted on the walk and was on the look out for other animals.   After our first few walks though she knows what I want from her, she has bonded with me a bit more and she is now paying more attention to me and is not pulling at the leash so much.   She is a quick learner and I have started her with some clicker training.   She is now making alot more eye contact and I think this might help her keep her attention on the walk once we get the clicker outdoors (we're just doing clicker conditioning to start).   This is my first time with the clicker training and I have to say its very cool.   Such a quick response feels so rewarding.

She is friendly with other dogs when we meet them although her back hairs stand up if the dog approaches too quickly and too exited.  I imagine it is overwhelming for her so she gets nervous/scared.   She is so friendly with people and is happy to be petted by anyone who stops to meet her.   People stopping to look at her is a regular occurrence because of her good looks.   People are constantly in awe of her and I've even had someone yell across the street about how pretty she is.   

She rides quietly in the truck and is very quiet and mellow indoors.  When we hang around home she lays down and sleeps.  She is playful if prompted and she likes alot of the toys and will play with something on her own for a bit.   Some toys have become off limit though because she gets too excited about tearing them apart.   She will fetch an item a few times but then keeps the toy to herself.   

She is housebroken and will hold her bladder quite a long time.   On our first day together she asked for the door... she will put out a couple of 'husky' type whines to get your attention to make sure you know she needs out.

Abby is very affectionate and loves a good belly rub.  If you come up to her while she's laying down you get shown her belly really quickly.  It's hard to not want to pet her because she has such a beautiful coat.   

Anyone would be lucky to adopt this sweet dog...I'm just trying to figure out what her perfect home would be.   She does have so much potential for activity and I think she would make a great agility, rally-o, flyball kind of dog or even possibly someone who is dancing with dogs (I forget if there is a term for that?).   

(I'm using a borrowed picture because I'm charging the battery in my camera....more pictures to come)




No comments: