Sunday, December 30, 2012

CHIEF GOES BACK UP NORTH

It's taken me a while to get around to writing this blog, in part because it was such a hard decision to send Chief back up North but also because it's that busy time of year when some of your normal day to day things take a back seat.   As you may recall, I had mentioned that there was an applicant for Chief and they met with him a few times.  Our final meeting was with a behaviorist/trainer who did an assessment on Chief.  I wanted the applicants to be a part of that process so they would see the things that would be pointed out in the assessment.  They came to the conclusion that as first time dog adopters that they were in over their heads with Chief.   They know Chief is such a beautiful soft dog for so much of the time but his fear of strangers in certain settings is not to be taken lightly.  He needs a confident person to guide him past his fears and his progress won't happen overnight.  I really admire how badly these applicants wanted to help him but also appreciate that they were willing to see the whole picture and know themselves well enough to not take on more than they bargained for. 

I have had many foster dogs come and go but this is the first time I've shed a tear.  It eases my mind though that Chief is going back to familiar people and a great environment where he can be the happy relaxed playful dog he is 100% of the time without the challenge of so many new people in the city.  After his assessment, it was decided that he could benefit from more time back at Turtle Gardens. So after three months he went back up north with his favorite TG person - Dave and I've heard that he has settled back in pretty well.   I really miss him alot!!  I also want to say that I still have faith that his ideal home awaits him...it just needs to be the right person or people.

Before he left I had to catch him in his candy cane bandana from Aunty Del.


(I love sideways glances)

Checking for squirrels in the tree ...as usual

New soccer ball stuffy makes a good chin rest

'Oh....but what's that toy over there?'

The next dog run will probably be in mid-January and I'm looking forward to jumping into a new year of fostering.  Thanks for reading my blog in 2012 and catch you in the New Year.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww.. such a handsome lovely guy.. can take time for the right person I guess... I admire your strength & conviction.. I can see that the decision to let him go back-could be teary. I'm sure he's learned a lot with you that will stay with him.
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all you do to help your TG fosters (including Chief) to be the best they can be - perhaps in Chief's case he just isn't meant to be a city pup. Regardless I am sure he benefited from all the time and effort you invested in him, and for having had time as an only dog who was the focus of consistent and positive training, that three month investment on your part will go a long way to helping him find his forever home when he is ready and the right circumstances present themselves.

Brigid said...

A hard decision - but always, what is right for the dog has to come first. He'll get there - and when he does, it'll be partly because of the loving grounding you gave him.
Happy New Year, Lisa - and here's to many more happy dogs finding homes when the time is right. Thank you for all you do to make that happen.
Brigid

Debbie said...

Hi Lisa,

You are an amazing foster mom and I know you made the right decision for Chief.

I wish you much happiness in 2013!!

Debbie

Debbie said...

Hi Lisa,

You are an amazing 'foster mom' and I know you made the best decision for Chief.

All the best in 2013!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa!
Home from curling and straight to the computer to look up TG! Found the adoptable dog list on facebook plus a petfinder link. What a great organization and I love reading your blog. Looking forward to meeting you new "little" guy in a few weeks
Happy 2013 !
Caro

Lisa B said...

Glad you found the blog Caro! I always like the contrast of going from a big foster to a little foster...after 65 lbs, a 10 lb dog seems super tiny....makes you feel like there's nobody on the leash though ; )

Anonymous said...

Mirko says he met Skittles on Thurs and he was making friends with everyone ( Skittles, not Mirko lol!)
I have a feeling you will not have this little charmer for long !
We MUST chat :)
Caro